Thursday, February 11, 2010

City vs Country in Japan


In this essay I will write about the good things and bad things about city and country living in my country. For myself, I was brought up in the countryside. My house was on a hill with about 40 houses. We could see the sea from the upstairs window, and it was located near the fishermen’s village. Our school was in the fishermen’s village and my classmates were only 12 boys and 8 girls at that time.

I can think of many good things about living in the country. First, there is lots of nature. I used to take a long way back from the school and played in the stream, picked flowers and sat on the green grass and chatted about future plans with friends. Also it was safe because parents never worried about locking the door and they didn’t say anything about where we were playing as long as we kept the time. In addition, we knew all our neighbors. They were very helpful and kind. However, there are also bad things living in the country. First, there is not enough public transportation. We had only a few bus services in the day. Second, there are no hospitals or doctors in the village. My grandmother used to take us to see a doctor when we were sick. It was very hard work because we had to go by bus and we had to wait a long time for the bus. Also, there was no shopping center in the village. My mother had to go a long way to go shopping or wait for the truck to come and sell things.

I think living in the city is the opposite. The best things about living in the city is convenience. First, there are more public facilities like big hospitals, post offices, banks and so on. Second, there are many amusement places like museums, cinemas and concert halls. Also there are more job opportunities related to all facilities in the city. On the other hand, there are many bad things. First, the housing price is so high. We can’t afford to rent or buy reasonably sized accommodation. Next, it is not so safe because too many people are there. Sometimes we don’t know our neighbors either. Furthermore city is very noisy. Some people are stressed about the noise.

I had very nice time in my hometown during childhood. Of course, there were some inconveniences for adults at that time. However, thanks to modern technology, we can drive and go far away easily now. I like to spend my daily-life in the countryside with my children. And whenever I want to go to the city, which does not happen so often, I want to drive and visit places.

4 comments:

  1. If our children live in countryside it's going to be good our children's physical and mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with misook but I want to send them good school. I read newspaper, usually many student live in the city and they had good result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me country living is good when we stay for holidays but city living is good for work and school. They are good and bad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the modern life move people to the cities.

    ReplyDelete